Fair Use and Copyrights
First of all, any individual downloading copyright-protected material from this website for their own personal use is more than welcome to do so. Downloading something from this website for your own use is no more illegal than buying a book for your own reading pleasure. The goal of every author, (including myself), is to produce something of value to the reader. The only thing I ask in return is that you leave my name as author attached to the essay, and a link to this website.
Copyright laws are meant to protect authors and artisans from people who would unscrupulously exploit their work for personal gain: not to punish individuals who wish to enjoy their work. Because both my literary and digital work on this website are vulnerable to exploitation, both are copyrighted under the same legal provisions every author uses to protect his or her work. Since I publish what I write for free, I see no reason to allow anyone else to profit from my work.
For those who would republish my work for their own profit, there are limits as to what I will allow:
- If you are downloading copyright-protected material for your own personal use, you are free to do so as you wish. You may also share my work with your friends as you wish, as long as you do it for free.
- If your intent is to republish copyright-protected material, (images or literary), for remuneration, you may do so under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act: Fair Use of copyright-protected material. More Information on Fair Use
- Whether for profit, non-profit or personal use, the only name I will allow to be published is my penname, Hudson. I value my privacy, and the freedom to express myself as I wish, more than I value recognition or money!
- Beyond what might be considered fair use of copyright-protected material, no permission is given to publish the entirety of my work in any format, (print or electronic), that might be considered a book, journal or magazine. I reserve the right to publish a book for myself.
- Beyond what might be considered fair use of copyright-protected material, no permission is given to repost or republish any of my work in any forum that is restricted by payment or fee. It is my wish that my work be accessible to people who cannot afford to pay.
- If your website, (or similar forum), does not charge for access to its Files/Archives, you may repost my essays as you wish, even in their entirety. You may ask for donations, but may not limit access to my work if a person cannot donate.
- No permission is given to abridge my work. Other than correcting possible typos, you may not alter the spelling, wording or context of my essays in any way. You must repost or republish my work exactly as I have written it.
- No permission is given to plagiarize anything I have written. Any essay or document downloaded for reposting or republishing must retain my penname, (Hudson), and a link to this website.
- The images in the gallery are not photographs, rather they are digital reproductions of classic art, and therefore copyrighted.
- Other than resizing when necessary, images downloaded from this website may not be altered in any way. Particularly, neither the frame, nor the name, (StarGateLibraries.com), at the bottom of the frame may be removed.
- If you are an individual downloading images from the Gallery for your own use, you may download and share with your friends as you wish; however, you may not remove the frame, nor the name, (StarGateLibraries.com), at the bottom of the frame.
- If your website is not-for-profit, you may repost as many of these images on your website as you wish, as long as you do not restrict public access to the images.
- Beyond what might be considered fair use of copyright-protected material, no permission is given to republish any of these images for profit.
As holder of these copyrights, I reserve the right to add-to, remove or change any or all of these limitation as I deem necessary.