Fair Use and Copyrights
First of all, any individual downloading copyright-protected material from this website for their own personal use is more than welcome to do so. Downloading something from this website for your own use is no more illegal than buying a book for your own reading pleasure. The goal of every author, (including myself), is to produce something of value to the reader. The only thing I ask in return is that you leave my name as author attached to the essay, and a link to this website.
Copyright laws are meant to protect authors and artisans from people who would unscrupulously exploit their work for personal gain: not to punish individuals who wish to enjoy their work. Because both my literary and digital work on this website are vulnerable to exploitation, both are copyrighted under the same legal provisions every author uses to protect his or her work. Since I publish what I write for free, I see no reason to allow anyone else to profit from my work.
For those who would republish my work for their own profit, there are limits as to what I will allow:
- If you are downloading copyright-protected material for your own personal use, you are free to do so as you wish; however, you may not remove my penname, (Hudson), nor the name of the publisher, StarGateLibraries.com. You may also share my work with your friends as you wish, as long as you do it for free.
- If your intent is to republish copyright-protected material, (images or literary), for remuneration, you may do so under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act: Fair Use of copyright-protected material. You will find a summary of this provision on the right side of this page.
- Whether for profit, non-profit or personal use, the only name I will allow to be published is my penname, Hudson. I value my privacy, and the freedom to express myself as I wish, more than I value recognition or money!
- Beyond what might be considered fair use of copyright-protected material, no permission is given to publish the entirety of my work, (or any substantial portion thereof), in any format, (print or electronic), that might be considered a book, journal or magazine. I reserve the right to publish a book for myself.
- Beyond what might be considered fair use of copyright-protected material, no permission is given to repost or republish any of my work in any forum that is for profit. It is my wish that my work be accessible to people who cannot pay.
- If the website, (or similar forum), does not charge for access to its Files/Archives, you may repost my essays as you wish, even in their entirety. The website may ask for donations, but may not limit access to their Files/Archives if a person does not wish to, or cannot donate. I publish them for free: you must republish them for free.
- Other than changing the fonts and/or spacing to fit the format of your website, you may not alter the spelling, wording or context of my essays in any way. You must repost or republish my work exactly as I created it. No piece of copyright-protected material may be edited, paraphrased or abridged.
- Any essay or document downloaded for reposting or republishing must retain my penname, (Hudson), and a link to this website. No permission is given to plagiarize anything I have created.
- The images in the gallery are not photographs, rather they are digital reproductions of classic art. While the original photographs used in the creation of these digital reproductions are probably not copyrightable, the digital work done to create these images is copyrighted.
- Other than resizing, (where possible), images downloaded from this website may not be altered in any way. Particularly, neither the frame, nor the name, (StarGateLibraries.com), at the bottom of the frame may be removed.
- If you are an individual downloading these images for your own personal files, you may download as many as you wish; however, you may not remove the frame, or the name of the publisher, (StarGateLibraries.com), at the bottom of the frame.
- If your website is not-for-profit, you may repost as many of these images on your website as you wish, as long as you do not restrict public access to the images.
- Beyond what might be considered fair use of copyright-protected material, no permission is given to repost or republish any of these images on any for-profit, (electronic or print), media.
As holder of these copyrights, I reserve the right to add-to, remove or change any of these limitation as necessary.